Leigha LaFleur

Let's Talk Trash

I care deeply about the environment and the people who live in it. I am looking to build a cleaner energy future through a social justice lens.

As a Metro Councilor, my main policy objectives are:

Garbage

  • Expand the use of pyrolysis (a carbon neutral waste to energy process that converts carbon-based waste into fuel and charcoal) at Metro to include a facility that processes plastics

    • Only 30% of plastics get recycled, the other 70% end up in landfills

    • Pyrolysis is the most efficient and effective way to recycle all types of plastics

    • Turning our no longer useful plastics waste into fuel makes dollars and sense

  • Create multiple new ways to divert still useful items from the waste stream

    • Prevent items from going into the landfill in the first place

    • Selling gleaned items creates a revenue stream in addition to the reduced landfill usage

  • Focus on plastics waste reduction in addition to diversion from landfills

  • Our trash is our treasure! Let’s stop throwing our money away.

Housing

  • Here Together and voting YES on Metro Measure 26-210

    • Current funding for social services programs is stretched so thin on the federal, state, county, and local levels that vital programs which help vulnerable people are being cut

    • A diverse coalition of social services, community, and business organizations came together to craft a workable strategy to house individuals and families currently experiencing houselessness and to provide the support services necessary to keep them housed

    • This well thought out policy plan takes into account the varying needs of the different counties in Metro, has an accountability mechanism, and will raise funds for services through a very small income tax on high earning people and businesses that can afford to pay it

  • Equitable administration of the 2018 housing bond

    • Oversight of funding made available from 2018 which is being used for the construction of 3.900 units of permanently affordable housing

    • Prioritizing anti-displacement strategies when constructing new housing in communities of color

    • Working with traditionally marginalized communities to make solutions that work for them 

  • Land Trusts 

    • Metro needs to use all the tools available to it in order to increase housing affordability

    • Using tools like land trusts (where the land under the structure is held in trust and only the building itself is owned by a private owner) has proven to be an effective housing affordability strategy

    • Outside of the box thinking and visionary leadership are needed in resolving this urgent crisis

Transportation Measure

  • It is imperative that the Transportation measure on the November 2020 ballot prioritizes decreasing carbon infrastructure

    • Transportation is the most polluting sector of our economy

    • Transportation pollution disproportionately and negatively affects health outcomes in communities of color 

    • Metro must work in collaboration with affected communities to create solutions that reverse these harmful trends

  • Promoting public transportation and ancillary infrastructure by increasing bus service routes and times as well as investing in sidewalks, bike lanes, and road repair

    • Safety must take precedence in the order projects are completed 

    • Metro’s unique position as a tri-county government allows it to address long standing transportation hot spots on roads that have multi-jurisdictional issues, such as SE Powell Blvd./ OR 26 and 82nd Avenue/OR-213

    • Anti-displacement measures must be taken into account when implementing all infrastructure improvements

  • Put our children first!

    • Safe routes to school

    • Expand Youth Pass for TriMet

    • As the adults of the future, give them a seat at the table and design with them in mind

Metro Employee Satisfaction

  • Work with Metro employees, management and unions to create a more just, equitable, and harmonious work environment

    • Take employee surveys to the next level by reviewing them for actionable items to implement that will improve employee culture

    • Give reasonable notice when scheduling

    • Prioritize the recruitment, training, and promotion of women and people of color

  • Bring back outsourced jobs

    • Using contractors may help Metro’s bottom line, but it comes at the expense of good paying jobs with benefits which ultimately harms workers

    • With the re-opening of Metro’s visitor venues like the Oregon Zoo and the Convention Center, bringing these jobs back to Metro

Temas

Tu contenido aqui